It was 1934 when the Kovač family planted the first vineyard.

Our agricultural and agritourism company is located in the extreme north-east of Italy. We are 2 km away from the border with Slovenia and located in the heart of the Gorizia Karst.

In the last hundred years the border between Italy and Slovenia underwent continuous changes. The people who lived in these areas found themselves belonging to different states that followed one another. The paternal grandparents were born as subjects of Franz Joseph, lived as subjects of Vittorio Emanuele III and died as citizens of Italy. 

The maternal grandparents, on the other hand, were born as subjects of Franz Joseph, lived first as subjects of Vittorio Emanuele III, then as Yugoslav citizens and died as citizens of Slovenia. All this without ever changing residence and living in villages just 10 km away.

Our town Doberdò del Lago – Doberdob (in Slovenian) takes the name of good (dober) and oak (dob). When they were building the city of Venice, much of the timber was procured right here. Doberdò del Lago and the villages close to Monte San Michele, Podgora and Sabotino became notorious with the Great War. Here the most atrocious trench battles took place, precisely because of their strategic position.

Kovač - blacksmith in English - is the nickname given to our family which, in addition to working in the fields, shod the oxen and cows.

Our family, which has always been peasants, lived and worked in these lands. The name Kovač, which in Italian translates as blacksmith, took its nickname around 1850, as in addition to working in the fields, the family shod the oxen and cows used to plow the fields. In those years only a few surnames were in use, including Lakovič, Jarc, Gergolet, Ferfolja, Frandolič, and therefore to distinguish families nicknames were attributed, also registered in the land register. Our family is registered as Kovač. 

The first vineyard was planted by the great-grandfather, grandmother and grandfather in 1934. The wine produced was consumed at home or was exchanged for other goods. In 1946 during the difficult post-war period, they opened the so-called 'osmizza' or 'private' to sell wine. The osmizza derives from 'osmica' in Slovenian and translates as 'eight', which is the number of days in which farmers could sell agricultural products, in their own courtyards or shelters. 

This was a concession decreed in 1784 by Maria Theresa and Joseph of Habsburg, during the period of the Austro-Hungarian kingdom. During the opening it was necessary to display (under penalty of confiscation of the goods) a bunch of laurel or 'frasca' (in dialect). And still today it is customary to display this branch with an arrow to signal to patrons the presence of an open osmica nearby. At the time they only sold wine and my grandmother bought pistachios which she offered to customers to pamper them.


In the 80s, however, our parents began to raise pigs and chickens and have also expanded the sale with cured meats, sausages, sausages and boiled eggs.

With the entry into force of law 25 on agritourisms, our parents, together with us four children, restructured the stable, the barn and the porch and the mother also began to cook first courses, grilled dishes, goulash, side dishes and desserts. With the agritourism the regulation has changed and the opening days are increasing.

However, it was kept open no more than two, three months a year in the spring and autumn periods. The two of us were still young, so Brother Robert and Sister Nives were helping the most at the time.


In 1998 however, we two younger brothers, Andrej and Ivan, took over the reins of the business, setting up the family business. We have expanded the agritourism room and increased the production of the farm with the uprooting and replanting of the old vines, favoring the native varieties, and we have created two new vineyards with the Malvasia, Vitovska and Terrano varieties.

With the new vineyards, the construction of the new cellar was a given, so in 2006 we created these spaces at less than ten meters dug into the rock of the Carso. We have always worked the land with passion, with respect and sustainability for the environment and animal welfare, so in 2015 we converted the farm into certified organic production.

In the same period we started a network with other farms, to restore and maintain the abandoned lands of the Karst, with the grazing of donkeys and cattle, which are free to graze all year round on an area of almost 1,000 hectares.